Wednesday, August 14, 2013

magkaisa, unite, be one

Almost a month ago, we were sharing songs in satsang in Casa Cuadrau in the Spanish Pyranees, easily one of my top places on the planet--even during the most difficult of circumstances. Boris Gueorguiev, an excellent ashtanga teacher from Vienna and just plain sweet man, was leading the evening's singing by inviting participants from different countries to sing a song. Katia sang a song from Mexico, ironically with a Viennese tune, Chin Chin sang a folk song from China, while Roopa sang a bhajan. Me, I'm Filipino-American, but above either nationalities, I'm Chicken!

It's a real issue, my lack of self-confidence when it comes to singing because I actually love to sing. And my time in Casa Cuadrau has definitely highlighted some issues of self-worth and how I get nervous when I'm put on the spot. There's a real fearfulness of being judged, especially when you know that someone in the room is actually judging you. I do recognize though that the fear is in the mind. That I need to work through my own issues: why do I let my fears diminish me, separate me from my ability to simply be?

I did think about it. If I were brave enough what would I share? I didn't grow up in the Philippines. And can barely bumble through the national anthem let alone pull out a repertoire of Filipino folk songs. But there is one Filipino song from my childhood that I remember pretty well and had I known the lyrics to it, I might have had the courage to share. A couple of days ago, I looked it up. 

It's not Shakespeare, especially when translated into English, mind you. It's a little cheesy, and the tune...well, it's in the pop genre of 80's Filipino music--pop, Filipino music, and 80's, a crazy combination. Released during the People Power Revolution in 1986, it greatly inspired the 10-year old me. My mother tells as story of how I went missing after school during this time, and that apparently I had asked the driver to take me to a rally. I didn't actually make it to any of the rallies, but I wore the signature yellow of the time and I had a cassette tape of the song Magkaisa, which means "Unite."

Looking at the lyrics, a good long time between then and now, makes me just smile because it is still so clear why I loved this song. And how at 10, I was surely always meant to go down this path of learning and sharing yoga. How these lyrics of unity, of one-ness, of hope, of faith and of love have always been a part of me. What stirred me at 10, was this taste of it, and what stirs me now is knowing that even when I don't entirely feel it all the time, even when I struggle, the potential is always there, always waiting to be invited, welcomed and embraced.


Isa lang ang ugat na ating pinagmulan
Tayong lahat ay magkakalahi
Sa unos at agos ay huwag padadala

My translation:

There is only one root from where we've come
We are from one seed
No need to get carried away by the storms, by the waves


I love how the world works. I love how such simple things can draw us back to our center. How looking at Pinoy pop song lyric circa 1986 can help me connect with a timeless philosophy and remind me that all is actually well, that the seas of change may be rough going, but there's no need to get carried away, that connection is magic.

Today has actually been one of those magical days. Timing has been really amazing. Just as I was feeling doubtful, I've received some beautiful, heart-full messages and affirmations that sharing my process so openly online is benefitting others as well. Turned on the roaming on my phone to exchange one text message with one of my favorite spiritual advisors Ate (big sister) Lily, also known as the Little Broom, who sent me a beautiful prayer. Connection is magic. 

Today, I also wrote to a friend who found me online yesterday. Someone I knew for a year a long while ago when we were both studying in Warwick, England in the UC education abroad program. And she, too, had a story of transformation. Connection is magic.

Maybe next time someone asks me to share a song, I won't be shy or afraid because connection, the universe keeps on reminding me, is magic. And this magic is precious.

Being one, coming together in love melts separation, doubt and fear, uniting--whether it's internal integration or an external connection--yields a new dawn, a new day. "Bagong umaga, Bagong araw."  



Lyrics of the song in its original Tagalog and in English translation is below. 


Magkaisa
Ngayon ganap ang hirap sa mundo
Unawa ang kailangan ng tao
Ang pagmamahal sa kapwa'y ilaan
Isa lang ang ugat na ating pinagmulan
Tayong lahat ay magkakalahi
Sa unos at agos ay huwag padadala
Panahon na (may pag-asa kang matatanaw)
Ng pagkakaisa (bagong umaga, bagong araw)
Kahit ito (sa atin Siya'y nagmamahal)
Ay hirap at dusa
Magkaisa (may pag-asa kang matatanaw)
At magsama (bagong umaga, bagong araw)
Kapit-kamay (sa atin Siya'y nagmamahal)
Sa bagong pag-asa
Ngayon may pag-asang natatanaw
May bagong araw, bagong umaga
Pagmamahal ng Diyos, isipin mo tuwina
Panahon na (may pag-asa kang matatanaw)
Ng pagkakaisa (bagong umaga, bagong araw)
Kahit ito (sa atin Siya'y nagmamahal)
Ay hirap at dusa
Magkaisa (may pag-asa kang matatanaw)
At magsama (bagong umaga, bagong araw)
Kapit-kamay (sa atin Siya'y nagmamahal)
Sa bagong pag-asa
Magkaisa (may pag-asa kang matatanaw)
At magsama (bagong umaga, bagong araw)
Kapit-kamay (sa atin Siya'y nagmamahal)
Sa bagong pag-asa

To Unite
Now it is evident that the world's suffering
What we need is understanding
Let us give love and compassion to others
We came from only one root
We are all just humans
In the midst of the storm and waves, Don't lose hope
It is time (Hope is just around the corner)
for Unity (A new morning, a new day)
Even if this (He loves each of us)
Is all pain and suffering
Let us Unite (Hope is just around the corner)
And march together (A new morning, a new day)
Lets hold hands (He loves each of us)
In the newly found Hope
Now Hope can be seen
A new day, a new morning
God's everlasting love, Keep in mind always
It is time (Hope is just around the corner)
for Unity (A new morning, a new day)
Even if this (He loves each of us)
Is all pain and suffering
Let us Unite (Hope is just around the corner)
And march together (A new morning, a new day)
Lets hold hands (He loves each of us)
In the newly found Hope
Let us Unite (Hope is just around the corner)
And march together (A new morning, a new day)
Lets hold hands (He loves each of us)
In the newly found Hope
(http://lyricstranslate.com/en/magkaisa-let-us-unite.html)

No comments:

Post a Comment