Wednesday, August 10, 2011

On Love, One Love



I'm a poet. I write poetry. I have to say that twice so that I can one day start to believe it myself. And even then...

Part of this remarkable journey (because at the end of the day, we are all on one, whether we like it or not) is embracing that side of me. The one that loves to write--poetry at that and I hope somewhat improved from my woebegone high school days! In a way, I feel I've sort of repressed it, I've been afraid to share, for fear of criticism, fear of failure, fear of fear.

And fear, well, it's isolating. It keeps us from knowing ourselves and it keeps us from connecting with each other. It's the opposite of love, the topic to which this entire blog is dedicated.

So, in the spirit of love, of connection, of fearlessness, I will start with a poem:


The Miracle



1.
Aspens quake and we pause,
fingers twined, ears attentive.
We listen to the forest chime,
leaves aquiver in soft symphony.
We think they honor us
as they clap leaf to leaf and
we take in the trail, the trees, the
dome of blue swathed in cotton,
walls of endless mountain ranges,
nearby gurgling water, all of which
we inevitably associate with
the miracle of us. We are
encouraged as applause
travels in waves across
a frothing sea of green.
The tree line glitters
and we kiss, once again,
slowing our progress
down the mountain.


2.
Later, we are informed
that their synchronicity is not
our good luck or great timing,
neither can it be attributed
to the magic of our love—
as much as we might contest this.
Rather, their song is older than
time, instruments so finely
tuned, so precisely selected;
they are designed for life,
efficient bathing in sunlight,
dancing foliage throwing
off mite-sized predators,
seeds carried by wind,
aspens growing a landscape.


3.
We will not see this, but
when time comes and the last
of our summer sets on these hills,
the trees will change together.
Miles will turn golden, as if
their gentle cooing triggers
the very moment in which they
harmonize their autumn robes,
in that inconceivable act of
solidarity, love among trees,
miracle of miracles.


4.
The real secret is this:
Aspens stand autonomously, but
each is an echo of an original tree.
The whir of woods starts deep below,
where the mightiest of roots do grow,
and from each root hundreds and
thousands of saplings spring
with leaves already trained to sing.
Like us, a colony of trees is one force,
drawing strength from one true source,
this is where the miracle starts,
it is a song sung straight from the heart.


--Karen Castillo

3 comments:

  1. Hey Kaz. Great to hear another poem from you. I just might write some music again inspired by this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Noel, thank you! I am also happy to collaborate again! Have you ever heard the sound that aspens make? Its quite magical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I don't think so. I should do a research on Aspens. Honestly, the name itself already sounds magical. :)

    ReplyDelete